"What are you going to do next year?"
I get this question a lot when people know that all my children will be in school full time starting September. I always try to think about it, and never know what to say. But I still want to be home. Is it selfish of me to not want to go to work even if none of my kids are at home during the school day? I want to be able to go on field trips and help in the kids school and be able to do my errands with out dragging the kids along with me. I like being at home. I know I should be out their in the work world helping to save money to buy a house or take some of the pressure off of my husband so he doesn't have to feel stressed about the finances. But I also feel that is my job to raise and nurture my children and I don't want to feel bad for doing that. That has always been the decision that Scott and I have made, why do I feel guilty and reserved when people ask, "What are you going to do next year?"
Thursday, April 7, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I will tell you what you are going to do - You are going to continue on with the raising of your children. You are going to be there for them when they get home from school. You are going to be able to say yes more - to reading, to serving, to activities you would like to do. You are going to be able to volunteer your time at school and be able to stay really involved. You are going to take care of your home and provide a safe haven for your family to come home to at the end of each day. You are going to continue to grow and develop as an individual and have more to offer you family. And you are not going to feel guilty about it. And if the day comes and life changes and you decide to go to work outside the home, you are not going to feel guilty about that. You are going to take each stage as it comes and figure it out along the way, and always, ALWAYS you are going to be a mom!
Carry on, carry on!! Feel no guilt. Enjoy the field trips and the kid-free shopping...heck, enjoy a bubble bath in the middle of the day. I totally agree with Shelli - you are on the right track. You may be able to find some kind of work at home that you can do when the kids are at school. Who knows what the future holds - but it's going to be great!
I have a couple of friends who are absolutely dedicated to staying home until their kids leave for college/university. They have inspired me to be excited about continuing to stay home even when all my kids are in school. They make a really good point that so often mom's go into the work force when their children are teenagers...but really...that is when their kids need them the most. Words of wisdom if you ask me!
Post a Comment